Sunday, July 1, 2007

Happy Canada Day!

Yep, you read that right. July 1st is Canada Day. So crack open a Molson or Labatt and watch hockey highlights on YouTube in honor of our neighbors to the north! Beauty, eh?

Speaking of hockey: Apparently, Daniel Briere is a Flyer. He signed a hefty 8-year deal with a "no-movement clause" to play in Philadelphia. That leaves me to say this: What in the world were they thinking? 8 years?! Don't get me wrong - I'm gonna miss seeing him in a Sabres' uniform and I wish him the best of luck in Flyer Country. BUT, you can almost guarantee he doesn't have 8 full seasons left in him. At least not without him turning fragile and missing at least 30 games a year at the tail end of that deal. Yes, Briere is a good offensive presence and should work well with Simon Gagne, but this is almost DiPietro-like insanity from the Flyers' front office here. I'm still completely confused by the deal...

I just found out Chris Drury and Scott Gomez both signed with the New York Rangers. I'll definitely miss Drury in a Slugs jersey. That dude is simply awesome. These are fantastic pickups for the Blueshirts. I'll leave the rest of the analysis from the Rangers' perspective to McNally...especially since I know full well he's probably having a moral quandary because Gomez used to play for the Devils.

So what's next for the Sabres? Slug Country was hoping that at least one of the two co-captains would stick around in Western New York. But since neither of them stayed - but Adam Mair resigned! - this clearly means the team belongs to guys like Tim Connelly, Ales Kotalik, Thomas Vanek, Maxim Afinogenov, and Jason Pominville. In hindsight, the writing was more than likely on the wall for the co-captains last year - Briere in particular - when Connelly got a contract extension before the beginning of last season. So overall, I have very mixed emotions about today. On one hand, I know full well I will miss watching Chris Drury and Daniel Briere. But on the other hand, Pominville-Afinogenov-Connelly is a REALLY scary line, so I still like this team. I'm personally hoping they can keep Vanek (though he's restricted) and Zubrus right now...

I'm watching baseball right now. Because NOTHING says "Canada Day" like a baseball game in Detroit, Michigan. Though reigning AL MVP Justin Morneau is Canadian...

The new Devin Townsend album is friggin' awesome. Full review coming soon.

Do it again Do it again Do it again Do it again Do it again Do it again Do it again Do it again

No comments: